Never in a lifetime had she thought that it’ll all fall in place so soon but when you dearly hope for something to happen, the universe answers. Inaaya was no different. She had hoped for her happily ever after and she was getting it now. It did not matter that she stood alone on the path because she knew he’d follow soon. She knew they’d be together. But for now she was trying to be present in the moment and living it. Walking alone is easy and who would know it better than someone who was, in fact, alone. Don’t get me wrong, she was alone and not lonely. And while many may call it one and the same, they weren’t. For she liked her own company and felt at ease being with herself. Often we fail to realise that the person that matters the most is ourselves. We are so busy pleasing the world we forget that keeping ourselves happy is also important. She was finding herself everyday walking alone on the path of success but she couldn’t deny that the fact that he walked closely helped make her journey more enjoyable. Every now and again you would see her hide, just to see him frustrated and she would giggle each time he found her. Inaaya was never truly alone because he never left her side. And even today, she stands tall as she waits for her stars to entwine with his. Her eyes yearn to see him and her heart craves for his half smirk mingled with a sly smile.”
Short stories that end abruptly have always interested me and this is no different. They leave a taste in your mouth that lingers much longer than a story that has a definite end. Maybe it was the outfit that did it, maybe it was the feel of the place that triggered the romantic in me; whatever it was, it helped me write something I enjoy now so I am not complaining! Anyways, this is a perfect cheesy date look if you have a big day planned anytime soon. The versatility of this dress never seizes to amaze me, but. While I was wearing it as just a beach dress in Seychelles a few weeks back, here it is in all its full glory, with just the edition of jhumkas! Accessories play a huge roll in giving clothes their actual identity. The right accessory can take an outfit to the next level while the wrong one can just ruin it all. I’d worn this dress with my hair on one side with some floral pins and no makeup at the beach while here I am wearing it with high heels (blocked heels in my case since, for the love of god, I cannot walk in stilettos!) and just some jhumkas. Dresses and jhumkas are always a good idea I feel and this is just my way of making it work.
I’d love to know your thoughts!
With vacations fast approaching, we are all looking for places we can head out to and explore. I am sure a lot of us would have our Pinterest wanderlust boards in place. Also the new Instagram feature for saving pictures in different boards doesn’t help either I ḍig that new feature and have made twenty some boards already! (Just Kidding!)
But the point is, if you can travel, great. No one would be happier than me! But if for whatever reasons you cannot get time out just how I can’t, let me share something I do to make myself feel better: I read.
Cliche as it may sound, books transport you to another world all together. Its magical how mere pages with ink on them can take you to a different space. While growing up The Famous Five series by Enid Blyton used to have that effect on me. They would give me an adrenaline rush each time an adventure would start. I would be Anne sometimes and George on other nights but I would love reading them. Reading helps you evolve. It helps you grow worldly wise. So read, my dear. This is a fashion blog but not all bloggers are dumb hangers you know? Some of us have brains too. And I happen to be an academically sound one. So yes you can discuss your favourite books with me. My all time favourite (other than the HP series , duh) is Shantaram and The Book of Tomorrow.
Coming to fashion: What am I wearing? I love dresses. I cannot stress enough on how convenient and functional they are. But this one holds a special place because it is a pastel mint with polkas: an absolute eye candy for a retro era lover like yours truly!
Anyhoo, the dress is my recent summer purchase and if you have seen my recent haul on summer shopping with Maa you’d know exactly what I am talking about
I think the colour is perfect for a day look and the tan wedges just make life so comfortable (and tall) for me. The floral choker gives the right hint of summer vibe to this look and since the neckline is a little low, I took the liberty to team it up with some layered gold pieces.
- Dress: H&M
- Heels: Steve Madden
- Choker: Shein
- Necklace: H&M
- Watch: Daniel Wellington
- Book: The Heiress by Jude Deveraux
- Picture Credits: Rushabh Shah, The Tilted Lens
- Location Courtesy: Mumbai Vibes
One thing fashion blogging has taught me in the last one year is that all of us wish to look and feel good about ourselves. Who doesn’t want to get noticed and complimented for how they are carrying themselves? I doubt anyone would say no to that! Over the last few months, a lot of you have approached me for styling tips, make-up advice and hair care regimes. And believe me when I say it that it makes my day to see your questions and interact with you! While I’ve tried to do my best and answer all the queries that keep coming in, it made me realize that there are a lot of people out there who need advices on fashion, make-up and hair but do not have the right resources or the time to go for consultations. Enter AlterMirror – a mobile grooming app – that resolves all these issues and more. AlterMirror allows one to get expert advice and supervision on grooming without having to invest in any extra products or services. The idea is to help you look fab with what you have.
Fortunately for me, I had the luck of stumbling upon this app last week and I can honestly vouch for the quality of their services after having used the app. The app breaks down all barriers of distance and time and connects you to the best grooming experts from around the country who answer all your queries about fashion, make-up, hair and total grooming. So how does it function? Let me break it up in 7 steps for you:
- Step one: Download the AlterMirror Android app from Google Play Store
- Step two: Fill in your profile details and upload a cute picture of yourself
- Step three: Select from the 4 services offered on the app – Makeup, Hair, Fashion and accessories and Total Grooming
- Step four: Browse through the profile of all the Consultants offering the service that you have opted for and select a Consultant of your choice
- Step five: Book an appointment with your selected Consultant
- Step six: Make sure to show up at your designated time of appointment and call your Consultant using the video calling feature of the app
- Step seven: Introduce yourself and ask your Consultant all the questions you have on the service that you have opted for
Sometimes I feel being new to the world of make-up, there are so many tricks of the trade that I am unaware of. Hence the moment I saw this app, I knew what I wanted out of it! I booked an appointment for a Makeup session with Neelam Kamall who is a Bangalore based Makeup artist and it was a wonderful experience! Neelam was patient enough to answer all my questions. Due to a lot of late night work and stress, I’ve developed these dark circles that never seem to go away. My big question to Neelam was how I could hide these dark circles using make-up until I got back to my daily sleep routine. Did you know that one is supposed to use a darker shade of concealer instead of a lighter shade under one’s eyes to hide dark circles and blemishes in general? I may sound like a dummy but honestly I had no idea! Neelam also helped me with the kind of foundation that would suit my T-Zone skin type and work in the humid Mumbai weather. My questions weren’t stopping anytime soon but she was patient enough to answer them all. The conversation lasted 23 minutes or so and the video quality of the app was great. There were no voice lags or hazy frames which is usually the case when you are video chatting and travelling at the same time. So if you are someone who is always on the go and doesn’t have the time to go to experts for consultation, this app could prove to be quite useful. At Rs. 350, a grooming session with an expert regardless of where you are is definitely not too heavy on the pocket. The app is in its launch phase and is offering a Rs. 100 off on your first consultation. Use the Coupon Code AMPROM01 until October 15 to get this price off.
Unless you are a professional, we all need grooming tips and advice that is personalized and relevant for each of us. While there are other sources of such advice like YouTube, the advice there is very generic. I have seen a lot of tutorials on YouTube and I know it is useful overall but often a more personalized experience can make a lot of difference. Try the AlterMirror app to believe it and let me know what you feel about the app and its services. I would love to hear. 🙂
Okay! What is your favourite teenage movie? A movie that you had watched over and over again and yet if it was playing on TV you would leave all work at hand and sit in front of the idiot box? While growing up, High School Musical was one of my favourite movies. Judge me all you want but a major reason why I dearly loved it was because of the styling. Okay Zac Efron too But well, I looked up to these cool characters who would be always on top of their dressing game. I was so inspired by them that I would try and dress up as Vanessa for any event we had in school. While curating this look, the movie was probably somewhere running in the back of my head because the look totally reminds me of HSM! Does it to you too? If not, great. You can just forget everything I just said and consider this to be a college look created for you. 🙂
Now about the look, a cute nerdy style never goes out of fashion. While one part of me would end up going to college in chappals and kurtis most days, the other part would want to look presentable and cute. THIS is the latter part talking obviously. I decided to team a floral short dress with a denim shirt and wore white sneakers with them, not because they are in trend (which they SO are!) but because it is practical to wear sneakers when you have so much walking around to do in your campus. A casual chic look that doesn’t require much efforts and will allow you to fit in if you are a character from HSM for sure. Haha! Jokes aside, the milkmaid braid? Definitely a keeper.
What is on me?
- Dress: Mango
- Shirt: Promod
- Shoes: Max
- Bag: Kazo
How is everyone coping with the sale season? I don’t know about me but my wallet is definitely not doing well. It seems to have lost some weight lately. How about yours? If you understood what I meant, you should be smiling like an idiot while looking at your screen right now (not necessarily, you could be frowning at my lack of ability to joke as well. It’s a free country!). If not, well what I meant was, are you as broke as I am? 🙂
Sale season is that time of the year when most brands put out their last season’s products up for grab at a reasonably decent price for us the buyers. The reason why that is a win-win situation for both parties is because:
- With every new season comes a new collection and no one would lay hands on designs that were from a season back. Putting it out on sale is the store’s last hope of making some money on pieces that’ll be dead stock otherwise.
- Buyers get things at a relatively cheaper price so well who wouldn’t be happy on saving a little money?
A few things I keep in mind while shopping. I am serious about these:
- List things: Maintain a list of things you actually need which are otherwise too expensive. You don’t have to write it down on paper per say. You could write it down on your phone or text it to your mom. For the record, I do the latter. This ensures you know your essential requirements and helps you plan. Also, if you have a cool mom like mine, your mom might actually remind you of something if you forget 🙂
- Set a budget: Unless you are an Ambani or a Birla, you don’t have a never ending source of money. Spend wisely. YES. I am saying it. Splurging on things just because you like them is not just a waste of money but REALLY a waste of space too. Where would you keep all the trash once you’ve bought it? 🙂
- Track your brands: Keep checking on your favourite brands for when is it going on discount. Shopping is a serious business and if you want to make the most of sale season so that you don’t burn a hole in your pocket later or lose out on your sizes and styles, make sure you keep a track of when your favourite stores are entering sale. Check with them when you are in the mall or have your number in their contact list. Most brands send out messages for their loyal customers for a preview or if not a preview, atleast details of their next sale.
- Don’t buy it because it’s cheap: A lot of us face this difficulty while we are shopping. We see the price tag and go crazy because it is available for cheap. It’s not a smart practice. If you don’t need it, even if it is just worth Rs. 500 it is a WASTE of money. You could have spent it on something better.
- Shop Smart: Shop for classics and not fads. Now what is a classic? A product that remains in trend and is fashionable regardless of what year you are living in. For example: A white shirt is a classic. A fad is something that fades out with fashion, for eg. cheetah print was in trend at one point but no longer (thank god for that!).
- Buy your size: The temptation to shop for items that have their prices slashed down can be immense. I agree. But don’t lose control and shop for the wrong sizes. Buying a pair of denims that are too tight or a skirt that is too short may be a waste. Part with your money only if you think the item in question is actually a perfect fit for you.
- My last tip for you all is a list of things you could invest in:
- A classic black/white/red/orange/pink/navy/yellow tee: One cannot have enough of tees and well, they NEVER go out of style. They are wardrobe staples after all. AND available at MAXIMUM discounts usually.
- A pair of denims: Invest in the colours you don’t have. Black, white, grey, blue. Distressed denims will continue be in trend coming fall as well, so I can safely say you can invest in them.
- Biker Jacket: Whether it’s denim, corduaroy or leather, biker jackets never go out of style
- White shirt: One can never have enough whites. Versatile, fashionable and ever-green, you could always invest in another white shirt this sale season
- Light sweaters and sweatshirts: With winters soon approaching, investing a few light sweaters for fall is not a bad idea really. Go for basic colours and you’d be fine.
Hope this helps you. If you have any tips, feel free to share them in the comments section! 🙂
All pictures in this post are from various sources and we give full credits to the owners whosoever. All copyrights belong to their respective owners. These images are not intended to generate income for the artists or the writer and are being used only as references.
Inaaya walked down the lanes of an unknown terrain and found that suddenly the world was a colouring book. Imagine the joy in her heart and the glee on her face when she saw that all that she once believed in, was actually a reality. Growing up is a gradual process. As you start believing in what everybody tells you is right and wrong, you stop believing in yourself and your beliefs. Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, a happily ever after: all of it becomes too crazy to believe. You laugh at them. Life laughs at you in return..
You stop believing in making things happen and start doing what is being done. You stop challenging ideas and start accepting everything as it is. Life becomes pretty much black and white. But happiness? It’s still there. It doesn’t leave you. Lurking in a corner inviting you to open yourself up, colours are still out there. You just have to close your eyes, take a deep breath, smile and think what is your best childhood memory. And believe me, that first memory will take you down the same lanes Inaaya walked into. She went in as a grown up but a little girl walked out of them that day. And as she laughed and giggled, a little hope in life was restored again. ❤
The many lanes of Bandra are filled with some of the most beautiful murals and graffiti. Some tell me that parts of Bandra are a lot like Goa. I wouldn’t know. I completed 5 years in Bombay this June and I still haven’t been to Goa. Call me a nerd, but being a class topper requires focus. Today when I think about it, I lost out on precious time while I was studying and kids were exploring. But I have no regrets. Because I believe in fate. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. Getting back to this post, Off-shoulders are a serious trend this season. Whether you have flabby arms or not, a broad shoulder or a rather tiny one, they look extremely good on every body type. Investing in them is definitely advisable these summers. The striped skirt is self-designed and self-stitched but you could get similar skirts online on Koovs. No, they are not paying me. I just thought I’ll be nice. 🙂
What is on me:
- Top: Divaat
- Skirt: Self-stitched
- Shoes: Zara
- Bag: Aldo
- Choker: A black ribbon I tied around my neck(!)
PS- Tried editing the sad raw pictures to the best of my ability 🙂
Pre-monsoon showers just hit Mumbai and boy could we be happier? Good bye sticky heat, and well hello puddles! I just hope we get ample rains in India this year. A lot of lives depend on it. Maharashtra is facing it’s toughest drought in years. Over 90 lakh farmers have been affected by it and the numbers keep increasing. It is scary. I hope we are all doing our bit by saving water as much as we can. I just reached Ahmedabad last evening and it is BOILING in here. Anyways, enough with the weather reports from around the world, the last two weeks were really full of surprises. I choreographed my first fashion show at the Mumbai Cricket Association and my team won. 🙂 Also, just yesterday I conducted my first successful workshop as the Creative Head for Earth5r ❤
12 kids from Peru, Egypt, USA, Singapore, Malaysia, Tokyo, India and UK were taught how to use discarded waste fabrics and upcycle them into cute dolls. I had a gala time training these superb set of students who were so quick at grasping everything offered to them! Watch the video here.These kids will now be giving back to the community in the coming weeks and training people in the slums so as to help them generate income and sustain themselves. Who said fashion was just a show business? I love what I do. And I do it with a conscience. ❤
Well, enough with my little boasting session right here, but hey! I thought we were discussing life, no? Haha. I am still a clumsy kid and this session made me feel I should post an easy college look for my young readers. Felt SO old with these international interns around. I am 23. Okay? But as they say, age is just a number. smiles coyly
A floral easy breezy palazzo, a knot-me-up top, a pair of comfy loafers, a backpack and some geeky glasses: voila! You are ready for a day at college. Oh just BTW, this is my go-to attire when I have a long day and I know I’ll be running a lot of errands. It’s comfortable and convenient at the same time. So you don’t necessarily need to be in college to wear it. Just saying.
What is on me:
- Top: Koovs
- Pants: Stalk Buy Love
- Shoes: Koovs
- Bag: Guess
- Glasses: Colaba Causeway