Okay! What is your favourite teenage movie? A movie that you had watched over and over again and yet if it was playing on TV you would leave all work at hand and sit in front of the idiot box? While growing up, High School Musical was one of my favourite movies. Judge me all you want but a major reason why I dearly loved it was because of the styling. Okay Zac Efron too But well, I looked up to these cool characters who would be always on top of their dressing game. I was so inspired by them that I would try and dress up as Vanessa for any event we had in school. While curating this look, the movie was probably somewhere running in the back of my head because the look totally reminds me of HSM! Does it to you too? If not, great. You can just forget everything I just said and consider this to be a college look created for you. 🙂
Now about the look, a cute nerdy style never goes out of fashion. While one part of me would end up going to college in chappals and kurtis most days, the other part would want to look presentable and cute. THIS is the latter part talking obviously. I decided to team a floral short dress with a denim shirt and wore white sneakers with them, not because they are in trend (which they SO are!) but because it is practical to wear sneakers when you have so much walking around to do in your campus. A casual chic look that doesn’t require much efforts and will allow you to fit in if you are a character from HSM for sure. Haha! Jokes aside, the milkmaid braid? Definitely a keeper.
What is on me?
- Dress: Mango
- Shirt: Promod
- Shoes: Max
- Bag: Kazo
Fair disclaimer: There are millions of pending blog posts that have been literally lying in the drafts section of my blog for over 5 weeks now and well, HAHAHA evil laugh, I shall be boring you with all of them for the next few days so stay tuned for that! Also, I have this weird eye allergy which is not letting me shoot at the moment. Hopefully it will get better in the next few days and allow me to get back to shooting some cool styles for you guys. Also, did I ask? I guess not. 🙂 How is everyone doing? I have been great but I missed coming here and writing my heart out.
Talking about this look: This here is a street style look that took quite some thinking. Frankly, tomboy biker jacket kinda street style is not my expertise. But I did try it for a change because well, isn’t that what fashion is made of? Embracing new styles and owning them? Anyways, mustard and blue remain to be in trend for Fall16 and hence, I have very generously used both the colours to create this look. My fringes are now growing back and so is the length of my hair. In the humid Mumbai weather, milkmaid hairdos remain to be my current favourite and correctly so: hassle-free, great for hot days, cute, and manageable.
What is on me?
- Shirt: Mango
- Pants: Chemistry
- Heels: Qupid shoes
- Bag: Shein
- Choker: Shein
- Jacket: Vero Moda
- Sunglasses: Armani
How is everyone coping with the sale season? I don’t know about me but my wallet is definitely not doing well. It seems to have lost some weight lately. How about yours? If you understood what I meant, you should be smiling like an idiot while looking at your screen right now (not necessarily, you could be frowning at my lack of ability to joke as well. It’s a free country!). If not, well what I meant was, are you as broke as I am? 🙂
Sale season is that time of the year when most brands put out their last season’s products up for grab at a reasonably decent price for us the buyers. The reason why that is a win-win situation for both parties is because:
- With every new season comes a new collection and no one would lay hands on designs that were from a season back. Putting it out on sale is the store’s last hope of making some money on pieces that’ll be dead stock otherwise.
- Buyers get things at a relatively cheaper price so well who wouldn’t be happy on saving a little money?
A few things I keep in mind while shopping. I am serious about these:
- List things: Maintain a list of things you actually need which are otherwise too expensive. You don’t have to write it down on paper per say. You could write it down on your phone or text it to your mom. For the record, I do the latter. This ensures you know your essential requirements and helps you plan. Also, if you have a cool mom like mine, your mom might actually remind you of something if you forget 🙂
- Set a budget: Unless you are an Ambani or a Birla, you don’t have a never ending source of money. Spend wisely. YES. I am saying it. Splurging on things just because you like them is not just a waste of money but REALLY a waste of space too. Where would you keep all the trash once you’ve bought it? 🙂
- Track your brands: Keep checking on your favourite brands for when is it going on discount. Shopping is a serious business and if you want to make the most of sale season so that you don’t burn a hole in your pocket later or lose out on your sizes and styles, make sure you keep a track of when your favourite stores are entering sale. Check with them when you are in the mall or have your number in their contact list. Most brands send out messages for their loyal customers for a preview or if not a preview, atleast details of their next sale.
- Don’t buy it because it’s cheap: A lot of us face this difficulty while we are shopping. We see the price tag and go crazy because it is available for cheap. It’s not a smart practice. If you don’t need it, even if it is just worth Rs. 500 it is a WASTE of money. You could have spent it on something better.
- Shop Smart: Shop for classics and not fads. Now what is a classic? A product that remains in trend and is fashionable regardless of what year you are living in. For example: A white shirt is a classic. A fad is something that fades out with fashion, for eg. cheetah print was in trend at one point but no longer (thank god for that!).
- Buy your size: The temptation to shop for items that have their prices slashed down can be immense. I agree. But don’t lose control and shop for the wrong sizes. Buying a pair of denims that are too tight or a skirt that is too short may be a waste. Part with your money only if you think the item in question is actually a perfect fit for you.
- My last tip for you all is a list of things you could invest in:
- A classic black/white/red/orange/pink/navy/yellow tee: One cannot have enough of tees and well, they NEVER go out of style. They are wardrobe staples after all. AND available at MAXIMUM discounts usually.
- A pair of denims: Invest in the colours you don’t have. Black, white, grey, blue. Distressed denims will continue be in trend coming fall as well, so I can safely say you can invest in them.
- Biker Jacket: Whether it’s denim, corduaroy or leather, biker jackets never go out of style
- White shirt: One can never have enough whites. Versatile, fashionable and ever-green, you could always invest in another white shirt this sale season
- Light sweaters and sweatshirts: With winters soon approaching, investing a few light sweaters for fall is not a bad idea really. Go for basic colours and you’d be fine.
Hope this helps you. If you have any tips, feel free to share them in the comments section! 🙂
All pictures in this post are from various sources and we give full credits to the owners whosoever. All copyrights belong to their respective owners. These images are not intended to generate income for the artists or the writer and are being used only as references.
I haven’t blogged in a while now and a major reason why that is the case is because:
- a) I’ve been busy working on the Youtube Channel
- b) I’ve had no Wifi at my residence for over ten days
- c) It’s raining cats and dogs here in Mumbai, and well monsoons make me super lazy!
Are these excuses good enough? Or do you want me to come up with something more substantial? Just kidding. Getting back to this post, since sessions are starting for most schools in India pretty soon, I thought of coming up with a compilation of 7 Easy college looks that are cute as a button. Honestly these looks were done a while back but for me they are pretty much still my favourites for this season. The weather here in Bombay is pretty chilly at the moment and thus, you’ll see a lot of layering and maybe a light sweater here and there.
So just browse through and let me know how you like this post? Also, fair disclaimer, you shall see a lot of denim in here because I personally think they are quite fashionable and classic. You are free to wear a plaid shirt instead of a denim shirt, that could look quite interesting too. 🙂
Today has been one of the most tiring days of my life ever. Thanks to the Bombay rains, I was delayed everywhere I went. But thanks to the same Bombay rains, so was everyone else, so I did pretty okay I think. If you know me, you’d know how particular I am about punctuality. If not, well I make people around me go crazy if I am ever late. Yes, it’s that bad. 🙂
Anyways, I came back home dead tired but I had to share a fun development in the fashion world with you! With apps and online shopping growing like never before, it’s only fair to say we are being spoilt for too many options. But more often than not, we don’t get to share that experience with our loved ones. I mean occasionally sending a Snapchat or a Whatsapp text of what you are shopping for with your friend is fine, but on a daily basis? Not so convinient, eh? Have you ever wanted to go shopping with your best friend but you couldn’t because well you have a long distance relationship with her? Enter ShopnSocial. This is a really fun app to begin with. Although the app is in its initial stages, what I absolutely liked about it is that it’s a one of its kind shopping experience. I’ll go through in details about that in this blogpost. Please realise that this is it’s first initial trials and being a startup myself, I’d know how that feels. And the very fact that they are doing something so unique is commendable. The app did a launch at Manchester post which they landed here in Mumbai and guess who got to experience it? Yay. Now let’s get back to business. The very idea of it seems exciting to me because:
a) it’s free
b) it involves shopping(!)
c) it doesn’t restrict you to a particular . you know
d) this is my favourite part- it is completely ad-free. So no spamming and unneccesary pop-ups on your window.
e) it has the potential to change the way online shopping works.
I do feel that the app could be a lot simpler and we need a help support on it too, but those are things that they assure us will be taken care of in the next few months. So if that works out well, this could be a great social app or shopping and socializing.
Well, I am really looking forward to seeing some fun stuff from these guys. For now you can check their app out on the Appstore if you have an iPad since its currently available on that and android. What you can also do is share your honest opinion with me if you use it and I’ll take it to the team who is actually looking for feedback right now.
Inaaya walked down the lanes of an unknown terrain and found that suddenly the world was a colouring book. Imagine the joy in her heart and the glee on her face when she saw that all that she once believed in, was actually a reality. Growing up is a gradual process. As you start believing in what everybody tells you is right and wrong, you stop believing in yourself and your beliefs. Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, a happily ever after: all of it becomes too crazy to believe. You laugh at them. Life laughs at you in return..
You stop believing in making things happen and start doing what is being done. You stop challenging ideas and start accepting everything as it is. Life becomes pretty much black and white. But happiness? It’s still there. It doesn’t leave you. Lurking in a corner inviting you to open yourself up, colours are still out there. You just have to close your eyes, take a deep breath, smile and think what is your best childhood memory. And believe me, that first memory will take you down the same lanes Inaaya walked into. She went in as a grown up but a little girl walked out of them that day. And as she laughed and giggled, a little hope in life was restored again. ❤
The many lanes of Bandra are filled with some of the most beautiful murals and graffiti. Some tell me that parts of Bandra are a lot like Goa. I wouldn’t know. I completed 5 years in Bombay this June and I still haven’t been to Goa. Call me a nerd, but being a class topper requires focus. Today when I think about it, I lost out on precious time while I was studying and kids were exploring. But I have no regrets. Because I believe in fate. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. Getting back to this post, Off-shoulders are a serious trend this season. Whether you have flabby arms or not, a broad shoulder or a rather tiny one, they look extremely good on every body type. Investing in them is definitely advisable these summers. The striped skirt is self-designed and self-stitched but you could get similar skirts online on Koovs. No, they are not paying me. I just thought I’ll be nice. 🙂
What is on me:
- Top: Divaat
- Skirt: Self-stitched
- Shoes: Zara
- Bag: Aldo
- Choker: A black ribbon I tied around my neck(!)
PS- Tried editing the sad raw pictures to the best of my ability 🙂
Pre-monsoon showers just hit Mumbai and boy could we be happier? Good bye sticky heat, and well hello puddles! I just hope we get ample rains in India this year. A lot of lives depend on it. Maharashtra is facing it’s toughest drought in years. Over 90 lakh farmers have been affected by it and the numbers keep increasing. It is scary. I hope we are all doing our bit by saving water as much as we can. I just reached Ahmedabad last evening and it is BOILING in here. Anyways, enough with the weather reports from around the world, the last two weeks were really full of surprises. I choreographed my first fashion show at the Mumbai Cricket Association and my team won. 🙂 Also, just yesterday I conducted my first successful workshop as the Creative Head for Earth5r ❤
12 kids from Peru, Egypt, USA, Singapore, Malaysia, Tokyo, India and UK were taught how to use discarded waste fabrics and upcycle them into cute dolls. I had a gala time training these superb set of students who were so quick at grasping everything offered to them! Watch the video here.These kids will now be giving back to the community in the coming weeks and training people in the slums so as to help them generate income and sustain themselves. Who said fashion was just a show business? I love what I do. And I do it with a conscience. ❤
Well, enough with my little boasting session right here, but hey! I thought we were discussing life, no? Haha. I am still a clumsy kid and this session made me feel I should post an easy college look for my young readers. Felt SO old with these international interns around. I am 23. Okay? But as they say, age is just a number. smiles coyly
A floral easy breezy palazzo, a knot-me-up top, a pair of comfy loafers, a backpack and some geeky glasses: voila! You are ready for a day at college. Oh just BTW, this is my go-to attire when I have a long day and I know I’ll be running a lot of errands. It’s comfortable and convenient at the same time. So you don’t necessarily need to be in college to wear it. Just saying.
What is on me:
- Top: Koovs
- Pants: Stalk Buy Love
- Shoes: Koovs
- Bag: Guess
- Glasses: Colaba Causeway